Turmeric Powder Benefits
- It has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb.
- Recently, science has started to back up what Indians have known for a long time — it really does contain compounds with medicinal properties.
- These compounds are called curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin.
- Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- However, the curcumin content of turmeric is not that high. It’s around 3%, by weight.
- Most of the studies on this herb are using turmeric extracts that contain mostly curcumin itself, with dosages usually exceeding 1 gram per day.
Turmeric Dramatically Increases the Antioxidant Capacity of the Body
- Oxidative damage is believed to be one of the mechanisms behind aging and many diseases.
- It involves free radicals, highly reactive molecules with unpaired electrons.
- Free radicals tend to react with important organic substances, such as fatty acids, proteins or DNA.
- The main reason antioxidants are so beneficial is that they protect your body from free radicals.
Curcumin Boosts Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, Linked to Improved Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases
- Back in the day, it was believed that neurons weren’t able to divide and multiply after early childhood.
- However, it’s now known that this does happen.
- Neurons are capable of forming new connections, but in certain areas of the brain they can also multiply and increase in number.
Curcumin Should Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
- Heart disease is the number 1 cause of death in the world.
- Researchers have studied it for many decades and learned a lot about why it happens.
- Unsurprisingly, heart disease is incredibly complicated and various things contribute to it.
- Curcumin may help reverse many steps in the heart disease process.
Turmeric Can Help Prevent (And Perhaps Even Treat) Cancer
- Cancer is a terrible disease, characterized by uncontrolled cell growth.